Monday 14 January 2008

Who's next for the job from hell?


Newcastle don't make it easy for themselves. Harry Rednapp may well have taken the job on Friday, had it not been almost guaranteed he would be out of work within a year. Granted, whoever takes over at Newcastle United will have a lot of money to spend, but as the three or four previous managers have shown, money doesn't keep you your job if results don't go your way. And yes, I am going to say it, it is "the results business". No matter how much I hate that phrase, mainly because of the blatant obviousness of it, I still have to agree that it is extraordinarily appropriate for a club that has had 7 different managers in 10years.

Personally, being someone who would love any chance at managing any kind of club within or around the football league, I would jump at the chance to manage a team with such great foundations - the fans, the stadium and some half-decent players to work with. On the other hand, were I a manager at the top of the game, for example Blackburn manager Mark Hughes, i would run a mile should Newcastle come knocking. I have a few reasons for this but really all you need to do is look at Graeme Souness and then think, what happened to him after Newcastle, and then realise that becoming their manager can ruin your career.

Onto the appointment, if i was looking from a Mike Ashley perspective, my favourite would be either Mark Hughes or someone people haven't mentioned yet - David Moyes. Moyes, personally would be top of my list. He has proven he knows his stuff, he knows what to do with money when he gets it. He has taken a mediocre team in Everton to Europe in only a few years and can only go further. However, were i David Moyes, nothing Newcastle could offer me would tempt me into leaving Goodison for St James' Park. I'm afraid that the club have got themselves in a lose lose situation and sacking Sam Allardyce last week has only shot themselves in the foot. The fans, as passionate as they are, need to lay of the clubs next manager and give them time to do their job and sort out the team. If they don't do this, soon everyone will be thinking like me and they will only be able to appoint rookies.

No comments:

A few pieces of my mind - basically just stuff I either feel like writing down or think that others should indulge in.