Monday 28 January 2008

MAGIC NOT QUITE THERE FOR SPECIAL K

Even before the game, the Newcastle fans were singing Kevin Keegan's name and attempting to pass a small banner with a picture of Kellogg's "Special K" cereal around. The atmosphere in their section must have been one of anticipation at Keegan's first 'proper' game in charge after the disappointing 0-0 at home to Bolton last weekend.

I have to admit, the confidence of the Geordies was filtering through to me in the form of nerves. I was beginning to convince myself that Keegan would make a difference. I was worried that they might scrape a draw and beat us back at St. James' Park. By half time I was even more worried. A half with limited chances, not a hugely entertaining spectacle although there were a couple of moments where Arsenal could have taken the lead, notably Eduardo's half-volley after a mistake by Steven Taylor, and then Abou Diaby's dipping effort on half-time. The Newcastle fans and players were starting to grow in confidence and it was evident that the Arsenal faithful were quite the opposite.

Second half, and Arsenal needed a goal to settle the nerves and stick it to the goading Geordie's kindly offering 5-1 fingered salutes at us. A few rude gestures went the other way but nothing extravagant until 51st minute where the game sprung to life, Eduardo first with a superb curling effort clattering the post and then almost identically, Emmanuel Adebayor shot only this time going in. Most of the crowd went wild, including me, waving their hands in the shape of rude gestures towards the Newcastle crowd. I was delighted until I was literally spat at by an old git in front of me telling me to "tone it!" I thought to myself, OK, I may be celebrating a little extravagantly but I am happy that the team I love has just taken the lead and I want to celebrate like everyone else. I’m young and energetic and I want to use some of that energy supporting my team even if he doesn't.

Anyway, as the second goal went in, I thought I would 'tone' my celebrations a little, but it didn't really work, the relief at going through was just too much and I let myself go. He didn't say anything else poor sod, was probably a little intimidated by the whole crowd but I can't help it and I think it's a little unfair to shower one person out of 55,000 with spit. After the third went in I didn't really celebrate because I wasn't sure if it had been given, no one seemed to celebrate and by the time i saw William Gallas with his arms aloft, the moment had gone to celebrate like a madman. Sadly for Newcastle fans, the magic of the cup wasn't there for them once again.

I can't believe the luck of Chelsea in the draw for the 5th round, firstly they avoid the others in the big four, and then they are drawn at home, AGAIN!!! To Huddersfield!!! I could not believe it, last season, they had home ties all the way until the final, then this season they only have one away tie to Wigan AND they are all to lower league opposition. I won't be bitter though, I just hope that Arsenal beat United - who they drew, and meet Chelsea in the final, because if we win the FA Cup, I want to beat all the best teams on the way, then we can say we truly are the best.

Another thing that has annoyed me this weekend was that Liverpool paid a reported £100,000 for a 'bender' for all the Havant and Waterlooville players. The fact that they paid it doesn't really bother me, it's that when Luton Town asked Liverpool for half that sum to save their club, not to waste on booze etc, they turned them down. Secondly, I'm not sure how most of their team aren't dead after spending that much money on a night out.

In the African Cup of Nations, three players have caught my eye so far; they are Mohamed Zidan of Egypt, Razak Omotoyossi of Benin and Manucho of Angola. The latter two have outstanding areal ability and especially Manucho; he has such strength and high in his leap that it makes him almost impossible to mark. I am dreading the day he joins Manchester United. Mohamed Zidan on the other hand has really impressed me with his skill, pace and flair for the game. In their opening game against Cameroon, widely regarded as one of the best teams in Africa at the moment, he showed excellent shooting ability as well as the speed to take players on, definitely one for the future. Omotoyossi scored Benin's only goal against the Ivory Coast, but he was a constant threat throughout that game and had he had some better support up front with him, he would surely have grabbed at least one more and possibly had layed one or two off for others. Everything Benin did attacking-wise went through him and his positional play off the ball is near to faultless. He scored 6 goals in 6 games with his club Helsingborgs IF in the UEFA cup this season and was top scorer in the Swedish league last season prompting interest from SC Heerenveen. At just 22, he is also one for the future.

One last thing to say - "A-de-bayor...A-de-bayorrrr, Give him the ball, and he will score!"

No comments:

A few pieces of my mind - basically just stuff I either feel like writing down or think that others should indulge in.